An Ambitious Knitting Project

15:09 Renée 5 Comments

When I finished my lumber jacket, I mentioned that I wanted my next knitting project to be something a little more time consuming. Something that would keep me occupied for a while. I could either go with something that is big - like a dress - or something with a complicated pattern. I absolutely love knitted dresses so I finally decided to knit Sun-Glo 2678 - "Tailored Chic". This is another lovely pattern that was kindly shared by Subversive Femme.


There was much deliberation on what color I wanted to knit it in. I wanted to go with the pattern suggestion at first, navy blue, but unfortunately I could not find any affordable navy blue 4 ply yarn. I found one seller on ebay that sells 500gr cones, they originally had navy blue but it was sold out. Eventually I decided to order 'burgundy', as the ebay shop called it but the actual shade is Claret. Burgundy to me is a darker shade and more towards brown, while this shade of red is on a more purple-y side. The actual color is slightly darker than it looks in the picture. This dress would have been really great to do color blocking with (imagine; navy blue with mustard sleeves, pockets and yoke!).
























I'm knitting on circular needles because I read somewhere that they distribute the weight much better and are therefore much better for your wrists, which makes sense. So far I have only knitted on straight needles but I now love knitting on circs! They feel so much lighter and my tension is a lot more even! So now I have these two big 500gr cones of red 4 ply yarn that will be transformed into a dress over the course of, I'm guessing, 3 months or so. The result below is two evenings of knitting - 24 rows at +/- 13 minutes per row..



What did I get myself into?!

5 comments:

  1. Wat stoer dat je een jurk gaat breien! Ik wil zoiets ook al enige tijd doen, maar het schrikt me toch af. Want ik ben niet zo snel als jou haha. Ik heb nog wel gedacht om een schaats ensemble te maken bestaande uit een vest, rok, muts en handschoenen. Dan is het wel een groter project maar opgedeeld in losse onderdelen. MAar je inspireert me wel, dus wie weet ga ik er ook ooit aan beginnen!

    Ik ben echt heel erg benieuwd naar het eindresultaat, ik vind gebreide jurken zo gaaf!
    Sorry, ik ben een beetje enthousiast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oeh die schaats ensemble klinkt ook heel leuk, ik zeg doen!

      Delete
  2. I love grand projects. I can't wait to see your creation, it's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will be as beautiful as in the picture!

      Delete
  3. Good luck! I knitted a dress from a Sunglo pattern several years ago, called Tea Gardens, and it did take an age to complete - but well worth it! It was also from coned wool, and has kept its shape beautifully. I look forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete

Please don't hesitate to leave a comment or ask any questions - they are very much appreciated!