Free 1940s Knitting Pattern: All Purpose Sweater (Cardigan)

19:44 Renée 5 Comments

I wanted to make a post with an overview of my makes of 2015, but since I haven't even  photographed half of them, that seemed rather useless! I have hardly sewn at all in the last year which was mostly due to my new job, but I did get even more obsessed with knitting. My (blogging) resolution for 2016 will be to catch up with some long overdue finished object posts! I also definitely hope to get back to sewing more, because I do miss it and still have loads of gaps to fill in my (vintage inspired) wardrobe.

Instead, here is a short summary of my 2015 knitting year in review:
- December marks 2 years of knitting (has it only been 2 years?!)
- I finished 14 projects (more than one per month, yay! For comparison, in my first year I only made 5)
- I knitted 6 jumpers.
- I knitted 2 cardigans.
- I knitted 5 shawls/scarfs.
- I made my first pair of mittens (hello, new addiction!).
- I knitted my first stranded colour work project (definitely need some skill improving there).
- I taught myself to knit differently and with 1 strand in each hand for colourwork.

It has also been a while since I last shared a knitting pattern with you all, so I picked a lovely cabled, embroidered cardigan with a Tyrolean feel to it. It was published in Needlewoman and Needlecraft in April 1949. I am not a 100% sure what the weight of the original yarn (W.B. Kwiknit) was, but I found another pattern written for the same wool that was worked with the same needles at 5 sts per inch, so it seems to be a worsted weight. I think Cascade 220 would probably work very well for this cardigan. Unfortunately I was not able to clean up the scan as I usually do since I no longer have access to Photoshop (I am trying to get along with Gimp). I also wasn't able to put it together as a PDF like I usually do, so I uploaded the pages separately on Flickr.

1940s cabled embroidered cardigan

MATERIALS.
17 ozs. (500 gr.) W.B. Kwiknit. A pair of nos. 7 (4.5 mm)  and 10 (3.25 mm) knitting needles. Small balls of ply wool in bright shades. 9 buttons.

MEASUREMENTS.
To fit 34 ins. bust. Length 19 ins. Sleeve seam 18 ins.

TENSION.
One pattern = 2 inches (unpressed).

Get the pattern HERE
Listed on Ravelry HERE

I wish you all a happy new year! I hope 2015 has been good to you, and if not, I hope 2016 will be kinder to you <3



5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. knitting factory

    ReplyDelete
  2. While there are numerous quality control checks in place, there will always be at least subtle differences in yarns even when purchasing the same colors from the same companies. billiga garner

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Europe times were changing, as the Americans continued to sweat and itch, a simple "T-shaped" template was cut twice from a piece of cotton cloth and the two pieces faced and stitched together in a lowly European workhouse. Brand t shirt

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a treble crochet stitch, wrap your yarn twice over your crochet hook then insert it into the next stitch. Now wrap the yarn around the hook again and pull through the stitch. https://mycrochetpattern.com/men/hat-men/simple-earflap-hat/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are doing outstanding work and spreading fashion and trends to new people. Keep it up! Valentine’s Day Sale

    ReplyDelete

Please don't hesitate to leave a comment or ask any questions - they are very much appreciated!